Saturday 19 July 2014

Snowbird

My family has been going to Snowbird since I was a baby. Every summer my parents would assemble the troops (their 7 kids) and pack us into a suburban for the 12 hour drive to Utah. They got pretty creative as far as keeping us kids from killing each other in such a confined space. There were prize bags, TV/VHS players duct taped between seats, beds constructed in the trunk, and spending money taken dollar by dollar when we were mean to our brothers and sisters. I remember eating a whole box of Ritz crackers on one particular occasion and by the time we drove up the mountain to Snowbird I was so car sick I puked in the trunk. Good thing we'd already made it to the condo.... We fit 9 of us into a little timeshare room. Kids slept on couch cushions, chairs pushed together, in closets, on floors, everyone was fit somewhere. I know it was a LOT of work for my parents to get us there, mom was usually pretty grouchy when we would pack the car and try to leave on time... (don't worry mom I would be too!!) As I made this video all the memories came flooding back because now my little nieces and nephews get the same fun and special experience I had as a kid. Playing with cousins, staying up late, unlimited pop to drink, wishing I could play cards with the adults, playing in the pool all day every day, grandma Orr's bingo night... It might not be super fancy, it's not a resort in mexico or across the ocean somewhere, but they are some of my most precious childhood memories, and I can't wait to share them with my own kids too!!

Snowbird Highlight Video
Snowbird 2014 from Kylie Johnson on Vimeo.

We went to Stampede with Sharee and Nate then drove through the night to Utah, 14 hours. Nick drove the whole way - what a champ!!

how cute are these 2 washing windows, team effort

Sharee and I woke up in the morning and Nick and Nate were jamming to music and just having a riot. They tried to get us to join in but we were just too grumpy 


Piggybacked Benson the whole way

Sunday Stroll with the family to Lookout Point





Shane and Liv


Darby Piggybacking Benson on the way back

3 matching sisters with another one on the way!!

Snowbird= pop!!! We tried so many yummy new kinds this year, Vanilla Pepsi, Vanilla Dr Pepper, Diet Cherry Coke



Canadian Tossed Salad

sisters - 14 months apart



Uncle Hutch doing some typical child throwing in the pool 




Put these two in the same tube and had them try to swim... hilarious.

Brightski Boozers didn't get any sunburn because Aunty Kylie put on so much sunscreen :)

Sunbathing - check out that view!!!



Cannonball!

 These two little buddies....


This is probably my favourite picture of the trip. Verity would hide behind Darby's chair and just stay there super still for like 5 minutes

checked a hike off my summer bucket list! This is a view of all the condos in the base of the mountain



dad stopping for a little drink




Darbo and I took a wrong turn down the mountain but ended up spotting these cute little guys!


My new swimsuit coverup and hat! love!


Grandma's Birthday - always spent at Rodizio Grill, adults only!







We fill up 2 full tables now that's how big our family has gotten!!


Nick and Nate playing a little tennis


cute cousins

I call them the ADHD buddies

meeting little miss Astrid

oh man I had the worst sun glasses tan...


the 6 Christensen cousins 6/6 girls




No comments:

Post a Comment