Saturday 14 June 2014

Rainy Day Projects

Today was a spectacular day. Nick went quadding with my Dad all day so I had the house to myself. Time to get some projects done!!! I didn't put a lick of make up on, ate whatever I wanted and stayed in my pyjamas all day. One word. Glorious. I pretty well worked my butt off all day and all night right up until midnight. A few finished today and a couple more are half-way there! Here are my rainy day successes

Success #1 - Garage Sale
It's no surprise I love summer. Who doesn't?? But mostly because of one thing. Garage sale season. Just thinking about it brings me to my happy place. Today was so rainy and gloomy I didn't think it was worth hunting for the morning, so I slept in instead. As I was driving home from my mom's in the afternoon I noticed a garage sale on the corner, and because I have no will power I thought, "hey what the heck, I will check out one today". And I'm so glad I did because I found the ONE thing I wanted to find this summer. I got 3 rounded wooden dining room chairs last summer for $9, and they are my favourite! But I only got 3 so I have been using 3 chairs from another set. BOOO they don't match! So
I was on the hunt for 3 more of the same kind.... hehe. I got these 3 for $8. My set is now complete.



I would like to paint them a fun colour eventually. Love. Love. Love.

6 Chairs ---> $17, garage sale
Table ---> Free, hand-me-down from my parents
Lace Tablecloth ---> Free, garage sale

Success #2 - Ikea Magic
We live in a basement suite and sometimes it is PAINFUL trying to find space for everything. Especially all my decorations and crafting supplies... haha. I finally had enough time to hit up IKEA with a few hours to peruse. I could not believe all the treasures I found. I have this little corner beside my piano I have been hoarding all my music. I have been wracking my brain and searching pinterest for ways to store music but came up empty handed.




I bought the KASSET boxes at Ikea ($6.99 for 2 pack) in this cute green colour to match my decor. I organized it by LDS, Choir, Christmas, Piano music and voila! They fit PERFECTLY and look way nicer. I could even put a little vase on there like an end table or something.



Success #3 - More Ikea Magic
The basement suite problem again. We just don't have enough room!!! It drives me crazy. I dejunk and then somehow we accumulate more STUFF and it ends up in this hallway at the back of our suite. We also have this giant closet that would be great for storing things, but there are no shelves. It's just a giant deep closet that is full of crap. Have you ever seen that Friends episode where Monica has a secret closet full of junk and Chandler never knew about it? Ya. It's bad. Our upstairs tenants just moved out so we are taking possession of the garage (totally not worth renting it out p.s.) and I decided to pack stuff up and haul it out there! I also thought I would surprise Nick by transforming this using some Ikea magic. It's almost embarrassing showing these pictures, but it's important to show how much friggin work this was!! haha

BEFORE



AFTER


Used some extra tupperware containers for recycling bins

The Ikea SORTERA bins are perfection. You can access anything inside the bin without unstacking them because the lids lift up. I used 4 large ones ($12.99 each) and 4 small ones ($9.99 each). Grandpa Pierson would be proud to see all my beautiful labelling. 







This will be my seasonal bin. I keep all the sunscreen, beach towels, gardening tools etc in here

 Perfect place to put the millions of gift bags and tissue paper we got from our wedding. I reuse those bad boys all the time. 

 Does anyone else have a present box? This is something I got from my mom. When I find things on sale I buy them and keep them in the present box for people's birthdays, christmas, baby showers, weddings, etc. Saves times and money for sure!


Hope you guys had an awesome rainy Saturday too!!





No comments:

Post a Comment